What are peptides?
Peptides are short chains of amino acids that act as building blocks of proteins such as collagen, elastin and keratin. These proteins are the foundations of your skin and are responsible for its texture, strength and resilience. More specifically, collagen is made of three polypeptide chains, so adding peptides can stimulate your skin to make collagen. And more collagen can lead to firmer, younger-looking skin.
Benefits of peptides
- Improved skin barrier: The skin barrier can be damaged from over-exfoliation, exposure to cigarette smoke and other pollution, or even poor sleep. Peptides help build up a stronger barrier.
- Reduced wrinkles: Collagen can plump skin and lips. When skin is firmer and plumper, wrinkles and fine lines will be less visible.
- More elastic skin: In addition to collagen, peptides also make up elastin fibres, also a type of protein. These fibres make skin look firmer and tauter.
- Eases inflammation: Peptides can help ease inflammation, repair damaged skin, and even out skin tone.
- Can help clear breakouts: Some peptides are antimicrobial, meaning they can kill bacteria that cause acne.
Are peptides suitable for my skin?
Peptides are a safe and effective anti-aging skincare ingredient for all skin types, including those with sensitive, dry or acne-prone skin. Anyone and everyone who is invested in better, healthier skin over time should incorporate peptides into their regimen.
Can peptides be used with other products?
Peptides work well in tandem with other ingredients, including vitamin C, niacinamide, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acids. But using a peptide with an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) will actually make the peptides work less efficiently.
How often should I use peptides?
Peptides are safe to be included in your daily skincare regime and can be used twice in a day. It is rare to experience irritation or sensitivity due to peptide products. However, how often you use it depends on the skin conditions you're trying to address, your skin care regimen, and how quickly you want to see results. Often, more frequent use can help you see results faster.
Products with peptides:
PolyPep Collagen Boosting Serum S8 is one of our bestselling serums and it's retinol-free, so it's great for sensitive skin.
Relaxing Night Cream M10 PRO is a soothing and nourishing night cream which is formulated with encapsulated melatonin, vitamin E, and peptides to promote skin regeneration.